Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dark Places

Have you ever been in a dark place? A year ago exactly I suffered for months with the worst anxiety I have ever had. Life became debilitating and even stepping out of my door seemed like a feat. I was reminded of the "dark place" I was in when I opened my bible to Psalm 91 this morning. I had completely forgetten how God had taken me from the state I was in and restored me. How could I forget this?
As humans, it is natural to not want to think about the hard places we have been in. I firmly believe that God wanted to remind me of his faithfulness to never leave or forsake me. During the time I was suffering from anxiety I read Psalm 91 daily. I would read it slowly outloud so the words would sink in. I prayed all day long, usually outloud, even if I was walking to class...I didn't care. I had people praying for me, aunts, my mom, and tons of friends. I had faith that God was going to bring me through. The story does have a happy ending, I was able to see a doctor and get on the right medication the same day (unheard of, right?). It was still a long road after that, but each day it got better.
Why is it that God has to bring us to such dark places in order to have faith the size of an elephant? Why do we need to be dispaired to understand that God will bring us through and answer our prayers? I was extremely humbled by this today and realized that God answers the faintest cry. He cares about each small detail of our lives, not just the big ones.
What will you have faith to seek God for today?

-Hannah

To read Psalm 91:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2091&version=NIV

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, so glad you wrote on your blog! Isn't it great seeing God work in your life, we are so weak and we need him all the time for His strength. Chin up, we have all been in those dark places as well. Enjoy your Easter break!

    ReplyDelete